Saturday, October 24, 2009

UFC 104 Picks

I am going to go ahead and post my UFC 104 picks here. Not planning to watch the show, other than the televised preliminaries, unless I can find a stream, but am going to follow the results.

My picks:

Televised Preliminaries:

Ryan Bader Vs. Eric "Red" Schafer: Should be an interesting matchup: strong wrestler (Bader) vs. BJJ wizard (Schafer). Being a BJJ guy, I am going to be pulling fot Schafer to catch Bader and submit him, but I am picking Bader to win, likely by ground and pound. (The actual fight was incredibly good, with Schafer withstanding onslaught after onslaught, remaining calm and throwing numerous submission attempts. In defeat, Schafer really gained a ton of respect from the fight world. 1-0 in predictions)

Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk:> Don't know anything about either fighter. At all. Coin toss. Will pick Hardonk to win a decision. (Another great fight. Barry wins by TKO in a slugfest. 1-1 in predictions)

Main Card:

Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiuki Yoshida: I hear Yoshida is a technical wizard, but Johnson is just a power machine. I will go with Johnson by TKO here. (Johnson wins by devastating knockout in 41 seconds. 2-1 in predictions)

Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson: I am a big fan of Joe Stevenson. He could use a good solid win. I think he gets it here. Stevenson by submission. (Stevenson by TKO in second round. 3-1 in predictions)

Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau: Not hugely familiar with either fighter. Going to go with Tibau by submission here. (Tibau wins a unanimous decision 4-1 in predictions)

Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez: This should be a slugfest between a couple of big boys. I think this could be fight of the night. I am going to pick Velasquez. (Velasquez pretty much dominated Rothwell winning by TKO. 5-1 in predictions)

Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua: Machida seems to be unstoppable. However, I have kind of a funny feeling on this one. Going with an upset and picking Rua to shock the world. (Well, this one went the full 5 rounds. Machida won the decision, but a lot of people, including Dana White, feel Shogun won the fight. 5-2 in predictions)

5-2...not a bad night of predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment