Monday, March 9, 2009

Progress/Shoutouts/An Irish Blessing

My apologies for being so spotty lately with posts on here. I have been very busy with work and school and have had a lot going on in my personal life as well. I am going to try to be a better blogger. I am working on the second installment of my series on the spiritual parallels of Jiu-Jitsu, so look for that soon (hopefully).

I had a good training week last week. Rolled some with Frank and, as usual, felt pretty helpless and got my butt handed to me in a variety of fashions. He doesn't outweigh me significantly (he is around 170, I fluctuate 145-155), but he is very good at USING his weight very effectively. He likes to get into side control and bear down with his weight. I usually turn to my side at that point and attempt to shrimp away. When I do that, though, he almost invariably takes my back and from there it is just a matter of time before he sinks in some manner of choke. However, I also rolled with Tim, one of our blue belts, who I have mentioned in previous posts. I managed to extricate myself from several predicaments when grappling with him. I worked my way out of two Peruvian Necktie attempts (see video below for demo of the Peruvian).



This was good for my psyche, as this is the one choke I have been caught in that has actually put me to sleep. Frank caught me in the Peruvian awhile back and it didn't feel that tight. I went to turn to try to work my way out of it and next thing I knew I was looking at the ceiling with him kneelng next to me telling me I had gone to sleep. Very odd sensation. I am generally one to tap if I know I am caught. I never felt that one coming.

Anyway, back to my roll with Tim. I also managed to extricate myself from a triangle attempt by posturing up and driving forward, flipping him over. Shortly after that, he managed to grab one of my arms and get an armbar on me. But, I feel like my skill level is slowly improving.

On the subject of shoutouts, I would like to say a big hello to Kyle Kaiser and the folks at AnointedFighter.com. Anointed Fighter is a website/ministry dedicated to Christians involved with the fighting arts. A lot of really great people on that site, in addition to some professional fighters who are also believers.

I will be going to class tomorrow night and Friday night and will post sometime during that span.

I will leave you with an Irish blessing that the great "Rowdy" Roddy Piper ended his recent interview with TAGGRADIO.com with. This blessing kind of made my morning.

To those who love us, may God bless them. And for those who don't may God turn their hearts. And for those whose hearts He cannot turn, may He turn their ankles so we recognize them by their limp.

Roll on.

No comments:

Post a Comment