Monday, January 5, 2009

Aches, Pains, Injuries, Recovery, and Age

As I mentioned in my first post, I am 39 years old. I got started doing BJJ in May, while I was still 38. I am the oldest person in the class by a few years. The physical toll that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu occasonally takes on the body sometimes makes me question why I do it. Thus far, injury-wise, I have popped out 3 rib heads (did that pretty early on) and hyperextended my neck when somebody stacked me and pushed forward hard. While I am very far from old, I am not as yong as I once was and it takes the body a little time to recover and recuperate. I just ty to listen to my body and do what it is telling me. Truthfully, though, the benefits have far outweighed the toll. I am probably in the best shape of my life (due to both running and BJJ), I have a great hobby, I have made a lot of friends, and I have a goal to work toward.

Being the oldest guy in the class really isn't that bad. It IS kinda funny the times that I am rolling with some of the real young'uns in the class and it hits me that I am old enough to be their father. Now THAT is sometimes enough to make one feel elderly.

Roll On!

No comments:

Post a Comment