Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sickness May be Abating, UFC and submissions, etc

This sinus infection has had me down for the count all this week. My throat has been raw from the sinus drainage and my head has felt like it is in a barrel. I did not train at all this past week, partially because I have felt lousy and partially because I didn't want to potentially spread my "plague" to others by close contact. I am going to probably go tomorrow (Monday) night though. I am feeling better, definitely not 100% but better. I am looking forward to getting back to training.

There is a disturbing (to me) pattern I see forming in MMA (UFC in particular). The art seems to be taking a move away from submissions and more toward ending fights by striking. Now I realize that a lot of the "casual" fans want to see these guys slug it out and that they get bored and restless when fights go to the ground, mostly because they haven't taken the time to educate themselves on the intricacies of the jiu-jitsu game. I also realize that there are a lot of more "serious" fans who love the striking and ground and pound game. I don't mind it if there are some submission attempts and some jiu-jitsu thrown in as well. But, if I wanted to watch boxing, I would watch boxing. The last 2 UFC cards, exactly ONE fight has ended by submission. The Mir/Nogueira fight from UFC 92 by all logic should have been a jiu-jitsu classic. Instead it ended up being mostly a kickboxing fight with Mir winning by TKO. I can't help but think the fighters may be being pressured to keep it standing. Is the Mixed in Mixed Martial Arts being watered down?

No comments:

Post a Comment