Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goal for 2009-Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt

Hey. My name is Matt. I am a 39 y/o guy living in suburban Atlanta. I have been studying the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for six months now and have been tremendously enjoying the challenge. It is both a very physical and very cerebral art, as well as a very effective self-defense system. Although I have been studying BJJ for 6 months, I am still very much a newbie at the game and still end up getting tapped out most times when I roll with people. I do think that my game is starting to improve a bit however. I have set a rough goal for myself to test for my blue belt (second level) by the end of 2009. This blog is going to chronicle my training, my thoughts, my aches, my pains, my injuries (minor, hopefully), as I journey toward that goal.

I am blessed to have a wonderful, very supportive wife, who, when I return from training does the ritual "bruise check", with our half-joking mantra that if I don't have a new bruise, I am not training hard enough. We both enjoy watching MMA, such as the UFC, old PRIDE videos, etc. I have a tendency to get a bit bored if a fight stays standing (yes, I am talking to you, UFC 92!), much preferring to watch the fighters grapple and try to submit one another rather than trying to win by strikes, ground and pound, etc. BORING! Some of our favorite BJJ practitioners include BJ Penn (Julia's favorite), Kenny Florian (my favorite), Demian Maia, etc. I am going to try to post here frequently with my thoughts and updates on training. Thanks for viewing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt...Vlad (my fiance) starting training about 9 months ago, and after 9 months of watching him and nursing his injuries, I caught the bug and started training as well. I love it! Maybe you can get your wife to start! It is so much fun training together. Anyway, thanks for checking out my blog. I look forward to following your journey!

    Noelle :)

    ReplyDelete